Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Can you believe this??

I heard today on the news that we are using 17 million plastic bags a day. That's 80 bags per second. Wow!! I was completely astonished. The reporter had also stated that it takes 1000 years to decompose completely. These are truly amazing facts.

The timing couldn't have been more perfect when I heard this on the radio and I was on my way to the grocery store. Well as soon as I walked in I saw that they had their reusable bags 5 for $5. I bought 5 and said good-bye to grocery plastic bags. We have to think of the future of our children and grandchildren. And even though I may have just changed something by just a minuscule, I feel better about what I did today.

So do your part to save our environment!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

but i use the plastics bags for my garbage catchers in the kitchen and bathroom. Now what should I do?

I've always thought about buying the reusable bags at the grocery store too. Maybe I will...
Good job!
-fannie

Anonymous said...

I think that's great Elaine. i think I will do the same !! You are absoluetly right !

Judith

Heather said...

Good for you! I knew we used lots but didn't realize it was that much. I know that Australia has banned plastic bags. It's not just the decomposing but the animals that have been harmed but eating them.

Heather M. said...

i believe it - it is so scary and sad what is happening to our world. i have a reusable bag that i use all the time and if i'm just buying something small, i always say "i don't need a bag, thanks" to try and do my part.